The (new, straight-from-scratch) Trump thread

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: The (new, straight-from-scratch) Trump thread

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:57 pm

God...do I have to add an item to the book wiki about Trump-related WP editshitting? Argh.

The Gorka article is a HUGE mess, something the CNN reporter and his "brethren" in the media are ill-equipped to recognize or decode. I looked at the history of his article and *I* can't tell you who removed the gun charge because there was a stupid revert war about it on 22 November. But it appears "Anon3579", an SPA if ever there was one, added the charge on 20 November. And Gorka himself expanded it. Then "Ccherzog", another SPA, kept trying to remove it. Anon3579 did nothing on Wikipedia but futz with Gorka's article and is clearly out to shit on Gorka's head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =749995226
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =750511555

And as usual, the article gets longer and longer and more heavily referenced, despite Gorka's relative obscurity. Now he's "famous for being famous" and "famous for editing his own Wikipedia bio". Yet calling him a neo-Nazi hasn't worked very well.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:01 pm

ericbarbour wrote:God...do I have to add an item to the book wiki about Trump-related WP editshitting? Argh.

The Gorka article is a HUGE mess, something the CNN reporter and his "brethren" in the media are ill-equipped to recognize or decode. I looked at the history of his article and *I* can't tell you who removed the gun charge because there was a stupid revert war about it on 22 November. But it appears "Anon3579", an SPA if ever there was one, added the charge on 20 November. And Gorka himself expanded it. Then "Ccherzog", another SPA, kept trying to remove it. Anon3579 did nothing on Wikipedia but futz with Gorka's article and is clearly out to shit on Gorka's head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =749995226
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =750511555

And as usual, the article gets longer and longer and more heavily referenced, despite Gorka's relative obscurity. Now he's "famous for being famous" and "famous for editing his own Wikipedia bio". Yet calling him a neo-Nazi hasn't worked very well.
I still have hope that the Gorka scandal will sideline him. It's getting press even in Israel now.

I suppose since the Wikipedia-editing scandal received attention from the mainstream news, you may want to write it up.

I'm glad you had trouble figuring out who to attribute wiki-text and wiki-text removal to. I looked into it after Larkin edited it and gave up. It is a rat's nest. Now that the media have mentioned it maybe the WP bigwigs will take control of the article and keep the editing history easier to follow.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:17 pm

And the house of cards falls apart further.....Steve Bannon is off the NSC. Proof of the Bannon seat shuffle.

He still has his security clearance. Meanwhile there are thousands of appointee positions open in the Trump government, says CNN.

I just want to say that, while all this stuff on Gorka is interesting, it's still a small fire within the raging firestorm that is the Trump semi-quasi-maybe-Presidency (with air quotes), and with any luck, Sebbo will be doing the Van Slyke shuffle with Bannon soon.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

suckadmin
Janitor

Post by suckadmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:39 pm

Strelnikov wrote:He still has his security clearance. Meanwhile there are thousands of appointee positions open in the Trump government, says CNN.

Later if he never manages to fill them.. he can claim he was saving money by not filling them :roll:

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:52 am

suckadmin wrote:
Strelnikov wrote:He still has his security clearance. Meanwhile there are thousands of appointee positions open in the Trump government, says CNN.

Later if he never manages to fill them.. he can claim he was saving money by not filling them :roll:
How many pro-Trump spies has he managed to distribute at executive branch agencies? I hope everyone caught that one agency had to fire a pro-Trump former massage therapist. I think the guy was from Vermont?

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:55 am

Strelnikov wrote:
I just want to say that, while all this stuff on Gorka is interesting, it's still a small fire within the raging firestorm that is the Trump semi-quasi-maybe-Presidency (with air quotes), and with any luck, Sebbo will be doing the Van Slyke shuffle with Bannon soon.
True, but the whole dumpster fire is too massive to document here. I was surprised to learn that a smart, educated friend of mine had no idea that more is coming out about the hacking and micro-targeting of voters. I wonder if future campaigns will buy data or steal it to micro-target persuadable voters. Will they need to hire troll farms for social media, too?

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:17 pm

I mentioned in an earlier post that there is a Freedom of Information request filed with the UK Ministry of Defence inquiring into the operational role of the Territorial Army unit that Sebastian Gorka served with during his student days. Gorka has claimed variously that he assessed terrorist threats from the IRA and/or collected evidence of war crimes following the collapse of Yugoslavia. What little that can be gleaned from published sources suggest more prosaically that on the contrary he assisted with translation work at an interrogation unit with a NATO role (his languages were German and Hungarian).

The FOI request has yet to be responded to (due by 10 April 2017), or at any rate as recorded by the website linked, but the requesting journalist Anna Merlan |(nothing to do with our lot), has now written an extensive piece on Seb's service: What Did Sebastian Gorka Do in the British Army?. Looks like she drew a blank with her FOI request, but she does flesh out the background to Gorka's grandiose claims.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Larkin wrote:I mentioned in an earlier post that there is a Freedom of Information request filed with the UK Ministry of Defence inquiring into the operational role of the Territorial Army unit that Sebastian Gorka served with during his student days. Gorka has claimed variously that he assessed terrorist threats from the IRA and/or collected evidence of war crimes following the collapse of Yugoslavia. What little that can be gleaned from published sources suggest more prosaically that on the contrary he assisted with translation work at an interrogation unit with a NATO role (his languages were German and Hungarian).

The FOI request has yet to be responded to (due by 10 April 2017), or at any rate as recorded by the website linked, but the requesting journalist Anna Merlan |(nothing to do with our lot), has now written an extensive piece on Seb's service: What Did Sebastian Gorka Do in the British Army?. Looks like she drew a blank with her FOI request, but she does flesh out the background to Gorka's grandiose claims.
Merlan makes an excellent point that Gorka refuses to clarify his murky history. I'm guessing that he did some counterterrorism translation work and did not work on IRA counterterrorism or collect evidence of post-Yugoslavia war crimes. His self-promotion has been exceedingly malleable, especially considering that he was in the TA for a little over 3 years.

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:49 am

I said in an earlier post that I would be surprised if there was any substance to Louise Mensch's FISA scoop.

In fact, tonight's Washington Post revelation that the FBI applied for a FISA warrant to surveil Carter Page back in July 2016 vindicates her.

The question that arises is who her sources were (she claimed two)? FISA warrants are intensely close guarded secrets.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 am

Larkin wrote:I said in an earlier post that I would be surprised if there was any substance to Louise Mensch's FISA scoop.

In fact, tonight's Washington Post revelation that the FBI applied for a FISA warrant to surveil Carter Page back in July 2016 vindicates her.

The question that arises is who her sources were (she claimed two)? FISA warrants are intensely close guarded secrets.
I wonder if anyone who works on the White House grounds had access to the information about this warrant. I also wonder if the renewal periods were also 90 days. The WP article says the warrant was renewed at least twice. Depending on when in July it was issued it might still be in effect. I hope an active FISA warrant wasn't leaked.