RC garden trains and other Statler bullshit

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

RC garden trains and other Statler bullshit

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:11 am

They can all fuck off for a while for me with there trollopedia. Peekaboo Ming, Midside Jakeass, Eric, our one Dutch Drmies, the export product of the year, GW, Trijnstel, Wikimedia Romaaiiineee, the gender bitches who are most times predicting complete gender nonsens, all! (Fresh material for a blog post, gender lady! And don't come to Holland, you where complete right, because you can't there Pieeeeee....)

Wikipedia is for clowns and jokers and not for serious matters like the gender gab. (when do they replace Alexander by a women? Or is it so hard to find such a clown in a female form? A Jane Alexandra?) I can't take this serious anymore, sorry. Fuck off, you bunch of wiki idiots!

So look Sin, something about my RC project, A Spreewald model 1988, build in 1993 rebuilding to a radio controlled one with battery traction. With old stuff I still have in stock for years. I found one in perfect condition for a real good price, so.....

ImageImage

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: RC garden trains and other Statler bullshit

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:36 pm

Funny you should mention Lehmann/LGB. An old coot who owned a restaurant in downtown Lakeport, which I patronize regularly, was a big LGB fan and had a layout going entirely around the main room, 12 feet off the floor on a viaduct mounted to the brick walls. He also sold LGB products as an "underground dealer". Sad to say he recently sold the business and retired to Arizona, taking all the trains with him.

Here is a photo of the place with the train, taken just before Christmas 2011. He took it all down a few years later "because it was too much trouble to maintain". That setup was damn expensive, something like $15,000 not counting the installation labor.

DSC00391.JPG
DSC00391.JPG (3.29 MiB) Viewed 7016 times

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:59 am

LGB is very expensive. the only way to built it yourself out of old analoge material. Te smoke generator: 4 euro. The burning fire: 1 euro. The speed controller is a LM317, a relias and a motorpot. Works great! And a lot of old stuff I still had, I didn't buy anything, and it is loc from 1989 what I rebuild. I spent I think 150 euro and that is really nothing.
There is a firm in Germany who still has all parts, they bought all the left overs after the bankruptcy. And it is now all made in China and very, very expensieve.
But Lehmann/LGB was Neurenberg's pride in that time!

[youtube_url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlCAu0nmflk[/youtube_url]

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:12 am

Graaf Statler wrote:LGB is very expensive. the only way to built it yourself out of old analoge material. Te smoke generator: 4 euro. The burning fire: 1 euro. The speed controller is a LM317, a relias and a motorpot. Works great! And a lot of old stuff I still had, I didn't buy anything, and it is loc from 1989 what I rebuild. I spent I think 150 euro and that is really nothing.
There is a firm in Germany who still has all parts, they bought all the left overs after the bankruptcy. And it is now all made in China and very, very expensieve.

I was told that LGB was very popular in Europe so there is ongoing demand for engines, cars, track and accessories. You could make and sell these gadgets--all patents ran out long ago. But as you said, it's not difficult to DIY.

This really gets me--very small locomotive, Chinese made, they still charge 259 euros for it:
https://www.lgb.com/products/details/article/20216/

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:27 am

I bought a few years ago this 1981model, it was a complete kit for 65 Euro, with rails, and two wagon's .

And I rebuild it to RC. It is like new!

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:55 am

Nicely done. LGB is physically large so it's easier to work on. My father was partial to HO gauge trains which were small enough to fit a good-sized layout in a large closet. But they were miserable to paint, repair etc.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:43 am

Yes, that is true. I had so many old analoge parts, it is a great clean up. Because believe it or not, this prototype worked! Later I changed a lot, but in base it is the same. I build for the smaller locs the technic in the first wagon.

[youtube_url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAIfSkoqGI[/youtube_url]

[youtube_url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJz3TPt8mwM[/youtube_url]

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 am

First attempt to make a tree. It is getting time for the scenery, because the trains are almost ready. It is a nice start, but it needs more branches. I used lavender for the base, but it is really a lifetime job to built a model train railroad like this.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:02 am

Update.

I think not bad till now.

[youtube_url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux2DrXiVAKY&feature=youtu.be
[/youtube_url]

Why does't show the video up? All richt, here it is.

https://youtu.be/ux2DrXiVAKY

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Doesn't really sound like a steam locomotive, but whatever.....guess the model-train world is still stuck on analog. I can't recall ever seeing a train sound synthesizer that uses sample playback. A couple of companies made them at one time but they all seem to be defunct.

Instead you see guys gutting sample modules out of toys:
http://www.trainelectronics.com/artcles ... art_II.htm