tell me again the Internet is "not censored"

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

tell me again the Internet is "not censored"

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Or that it "recognizes censorship as damage and routes around it" or suchlike. Even the much vaunted Internet Archive is censored.

https://gizmodo.com/when-the-internet-a ... 1830462131
Over the last few years, there has been a change in how the Wayback Machine is viewed, one inspired by the general political mood. What had long been a useful tool when you came across broken links online is now, more than ever before, seen as an arbiter of the truth and a bulwark against erasing history.

That archive sites are trusted to show the digital trail and origin of content is not just a must-use tool for journalists, but effective for just about anyone trying to track down vanishing web pages. With that in mind, that the Internet Archive doesn’t really fight takedown requests becomes a problem. That’s not the only recourse: When a site admin elects to block the Wayback crawler using a robots.txt file, the crawling doesn’t just stop. Instead, the Wayback Machine’s entire history of a given site is removed from public view.

if you ever see Archive poobah Brewster Kahle giving a speech about censorship and how his fucking site is a "bulwark against censorship" blahblah, you now have ammo to take him on.

(Please don't ask me about Kahle's happy-smiley relationship with the Wikimedia Foundation....)

suckadmin
Janitor

Re: tell me again the Internet is "not censored"

Post by suckadmin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:49 pm

Hmm sounds more like the robot.txt file is one way to get the pee out of part of the ocean.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: tell me again the Internet is "not censored"

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:39 am

suckadmin wrote:Hmm sounds more like the robot.txt file is one way to get the pee out of part of the ocean.

Wikipedia installed a robots.txt arrangement starting in 2006. From the book wiki:
Tuba (mythology): a notorious joke article that lasted from May until December 2006. The only remaining full copy of it is found on the Internet Archive, recorded shortly before the WMF enabled robots.txt and blocked all such external archiving. WorldWizzy also captured a copy. The December 2006 AFD is quite difficult to find. It reveals that the creator of this extremely long and stupid joke article was "Yeanold Viskersenn", aka Richard Symonds.