Oohhhh, People Are Mean To Each Other On WIki!

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Oohhhh, People Are Mean To Each Other On WIki!

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 am

What a surprise to this hapless NY Times writer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/08/us/w ... ation.html

“If you out yourself as a feminist or L.G.B.T., you will tend to be more targeted,” said Natacha Rault, a Wikipedia editor who lives in Geneva and founded a project that aims to reduce the gender gap on the website.

For info: because Jimbo welcomed gay people on WP from the early days, there are a remarkable number of them in the adminship today. Still. Yet they continue to have problems with homophobia. The "partial ban" system took years to implement--announcing it now is pathetic.

Oh btw:
Once, an administrator on a Wikipedia page blocked an editor simply because their username suggested that the editor could be gay, said Rachel Wexelbaum, a Wikipedian who works to improve L.G.B.T. content on the website. Eventually, she said, Wikimedia’s Trust and Safety Team got involved, and the administrator was blocked for those actions.

Can't find anything in my notes about this. I don't think it was Fram or Malik Shabazz. Anyone?

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Oohhhh, People Are Mean To Each Other On WIki!

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 am

I vaguely remember it was one of the foreign language editions. Don't quote me on it though.