Jimmytalk

Editors, Admins and Bureaucrats blecch!
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Jimmytalk

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:34 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... lp_Assange?

Mister Assange is arrested in a European country. First at all, I myself think the medical condition of mister Assange should be the first concern of the authorities (And his cat. There was a conflict about a dirty litter box I have read.)
Second, what will happened now with mister Assange is in the hands of the English authorities and I have understand there are made good appointments with mister Assange his laywers. (Also about his cat I suppose)

He looked very happy when he was arrested, he was smiling and looked relieved to me, so let it to the authorities.

Europe is no China, we don't need here "help" from Wikipedia, Jimbo or WMF in Europe, we can handled it ourself.
I am glad for everyone this situation has ended, and I am sure there is taken very good care about mister Assange. (And his cat too, the English love pets.) His human right are in no way violated, that is Utter Fucking Bullshit.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Re: Jimmytalk

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 am

Jimbo Wales wrote:I don't think Assange's lawyers would find a quote from a Senator particularly relevant or meaningful in this context. I further think that what Senator Hatch was saying is in one sense not accurate at all but in another sense true of pretty much every country. There are enough complex and ambiguous laws everywhere to mean that a sufficiently motivated bad faith prosecutor can cause a lot of headache for someone. But I agree with Black Kite - it is unlikely that me contacting someone with this quote would be helpful. I am sure his lawyers will be making a variety of arguments as to why the UK shouldn't extradite him.
I also don't have any real contact with anyone in Assange's organization. I know some people who know him or knew him - he has a consistent pattern of falling out with people - but I can't think at the moment of any direct way of getting in touch.
I am a big supporter of freedom of expression, and that support doesn't hinge on whether or not I like the person, so I'm not sure why that's even being raised as a question here. I think that the core of what Assange has done (publishing documents) is fully protected by the First Amendment and there is basically zero chance that any direct attack on that would get anywhere with the US Federal court system. What he is being accused of is a different matter, and I have no opinion whatsoever about whether his is innocent or guilty of those charges. But I am quite sure that the relevant court will stick straight to that - remember that whatever faults the US has (and of course there are many), it does have a very independent Federal judiciary (despite Trump's occasional ranting).
Just for completeness, I don't completely agree with Guy Macon's view on what the WMF or I should speak about, although my view is not far from his. I think it a mistake to define the parameters so narrowly as "the existence or functioning of Wikipedia" - such a remit would, for example, require the WMF to act far too timidly and "corporate" in the sense of looking after it's own narrow interests even when at the expense of the broader movement and the ecosystem that we are trying to achieve. Article 13 of the new European Copyright Directive has an explicit exemption for Wikipedia, so Guy's view as stated here is that we should stay silent (giving therefore our implicit consent) to something that is bad for a free and open Internet.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 09:24, 12 April 2019 (UTC)

Seen the medical situation of mister Assange mister Assange need rest and good medical care what he now gets. (And the cat too)You are complete right, mister jimbo, it is not up to us or WMF to judge about him. And indeed has Amerca a very independent Federal judiciary. And Europe too. Nobody is above the law, and we are both lucky to live in country with a good and great Federal judiciary.

I am sure there is laken good care now of him and his cat what too, what is absolute necessary, and we must trust our governments and Wikipedia must go back to it's original goals. I will quote your own words:

Jimbo Wales wrote:Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing.”
Bron: Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales Responds, slashdot.org, 28 juli 2004.
Aanhaling(en): Op 15 januari 2015 organiseert de KNAW een minisymposium, Wikimedia.nl, 6 november 2014.
Dit citaat is onjuist/onvolledig vertaald èn door Wales herhaaldelijk genuanceerd c.q. verduidelijkt, maar wordt nog altijd regelmatig ten onrechte als hier omschreven aangehaald. De verduidelijkingen/nuanceringen zijn: "Remember, an encyclopedia is not a data dump. The word "sum" has a purpose in that statement... an encyclopedia is not "all human knowledge" it is the "sum" of all human knowledge. It is specifically delimited for very good reasons." (Jimbo Wales, 4 August 2008); "You are right that it is not the goal of Wikipedia to include all human knowledge - the key phrase usually overlooked in this criticism is "the sum". It is the goal of Wikipedia to include the sum of all human knowledge." (Jimbo Wales, 31 January 2011); en "Definitely my meaning is "summary". I wouldn't say "gist" as that word tends connote something about vagueness. But Wikipedia literally can't contain all knowledge for a number of reasons. And an encyclopedia is not, for example, a text book. And our entry on "China" for example really shouldn't be 10,000 pages long. It should provide a summary of what is known, and refer people to other sources to dig deeper. Where to stop is of course a very interesting question subject to thoughtful discussion - and of course Wikipedia can be (and is) much more comprehensive than traditional encyclopedias." (Jimbo Wales, 3 July 2015 ). Waar Wales het dus over een "sum" heeft, bedoelt hij niet "optelling", maar eerder een "samenvatting van kerninformatie". Eerder in 2005 had Wales dit nog verder verduidelijkt door aan het hieraan toe te voegen: The ultimate aim of Wikipedia is to create and to distribute a free encyclopedia of the highest quality to every single person on the planet in there one language

https://nl.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales

You write:
*Remember, an encyclopedia is not a data dump.
*The word "sum" has a purpose in that statement... an encyclopedia is not "all human knowledge" it is the "sum" of all human knowledge. It is specifically delimited for very good reasons." (Jimbo Wales, 4 August 2008)
*You are right that it is not the goal of Wikipedia to include all human knowledge - the key phrase usually overlooked in this criticism is "the sum". It is the goal of Wikipedia to include the sum of all human knowledge
*I wouldn't say "gist" as that word tends connote something about vagueness. But Wikipedia literally can't contain all knowledge for a number of reasons. And an encyclopedia is not, for example, a text book. And our entry on "China" for example really shouldn't be 10,000 pages long. It should provide a summary of what is known, and refer people to other sources to dig deeper.
*Where to stop is of course a very interesting question subject to thoughtful discussion - and of course Wikipedia can be (and is) much more comprehensive than traditional encyclopedias.

And what wrote Romaine, Romaine=>Wikimedia everywhere on his user page? And what was for years the slogan of the Dutch Wikimedia chapter?

Stel je een wereld voor waarin elke persoon vrije toegang heeft tot alle kennis. Dat is waar wij aan werken

This is complete in contradiction of what you said the goals where. I noticed this in 2016 already. Funny the page is started by my digitale friend Kolonel Zieksnor by the way.

And that article13 is indeed not affecting Wikipedia, there is a exception, and no, wikipedia must not change a political organisation, that is wrong. Because our states are political strong enough to handle this matters. And Trump, well the man is telling incredible crap but till now I don't see much blunders of the American government. Special the approach with North Korea I like very much.

Because it is a very wise approach. Give Kim all the credits, and invite him on the long run in The White House and take him to a basketball game and the problem is solved! The guy went in Switzerland to school and his sister too, just give him some western civilisation and you have a friend for ever. No stare downs, nothing,
Give them all a brand new Mercedes, and they are so afraid there will be a scratch on it, they immediately stop there nonsense.