Wikipediocrats not understanding how Wikipedia works

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Wikipediocrats not understanding how Wikipedia works

Post by CrowsNest » Fri May 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Poetlister wrote:It's screamingly obvious that any account that mostly edits Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests is a sock.
Why haven't they blocked it then, diphsit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... Guantolaka

Screaming obvious socks popping up in high visibility areas like Arbitration are blocked on sight. This was the case even before Queen Bishonen made it her business to shut this area of Wikipedia down, closing it off to anyone she couldn't intimidate (i.e. anyone without skin in the game). Mother Hen has to protect her baby scumbags somehow.

They would block it if they thought there would be no potential blowback. It is the very thought that it is not a sock, that is giving them pause.

This shit isn't complicated. Poetlister is just that thick.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:04 pm

:?
Poetlister wrote:If the WMF had any sense, they'd arrange for all really controversial articles to be locked so the argument was restricted to the talk pages.
Um......what exactly do you mean by "arrange"?

I think what you meant to say is .....encourage the Wikipedia community to consider the merits of a proposal to expand their existing protection policy to allow ......

To consider those merits they'd of course have to be able to understand what you mean by "really controversial" - is this either an intent to propose wholesale adoption of pre-emptive protection for entire classes of articles based on some pre-agreed metric of indicative controversiality, or merely an adjustment to the measure of how much disruption there needs to be in order to trigger full protection.

If this is what you meant, then it is pretty debatable whether the WMF would see much sense in it (what's in it for them?). And if they did, it is equally debatable the community would do it. The latter seems more likely than the former, and indeed that may one day in the near future emerge as a spontaneous proposal give the way the Wikipedia community seems to be evolving in its views on how open they should be, but this seems to be taking us far away from the central premise of what the WMF should/would do if it "had any sense".

If you meant something else entirely, please provide enough detail so that a serious critic who actually knows what they're talking about, can comment.

---------

These people consider themselves the pre-eminent experts in the field. Bunch of fucking dummies is what they are.

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:43 pm

CrowsNest wrote::?
Poetlister wrote:If the WMF had any sense, they'd arrange for all really controversial articles to be locked so the argument was restricted to the talk pages.
Um......what exactly do you mean by "arrange"?

I think what you meant to say is .....encourage the Wikipedia community to consider the merits of a proposal to expand their existing protection policy to allow ......

To consider those merits they'd of course have to be able to understand what you mean by "really controversial" - is this either an intent to propose wholesale adoption of pre-emptive protection for entire classes of articles based on some pre-agreed metric of indicative controversiality, or merely an adjustment to the measure of how much disruption there needs to be in order to trigger full protection.

If this is what you meant, then it is pretty debatable whether the WMF would see much sense in it (what's in it for them?). And if they did, it is equally debatable the community would do it. The latter seems more likely than the former, and indeed that may one day in the near future emerge as a spontaneous proposal give the way the Wikipedia community seems to be evolving in its views on how open they should be, but this seems to be taking us far away from the central premise of what the WMF should/would do if it "had any sense".

If you meant something else entirely, please provide enough detail so that a serious critic who actually knows what they're talking about, can comment.

What, is Dysklyver confused about something? You'd think he'd say so if he were...

RfB

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Just wondering Timmy boy, are you also a member of a local Autistic Society? Because I am wondering.
Bart Legal is a member of a Belgium Autistic Society, Vig and Pro of the West Coast Autistic Society, and you TImmy Tim, what about you?

Just tell me Tim.....

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:43 pm

Carrite wrote:What, is Dysklyver confused about something? You'd think he'd say so if he were...
Not for the first time, I literally have no idea what you're on about.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:35 pm

Well, that was the same with me, and the reason I asked if Timmy was also a member of a local Autistic Society.
Because as Pro told me on aggie's his WR half of the West Coast California Autistic Society is a wikipedia editor, so it is not a strange question.

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 pm

CrowsNest wrote:
Carrite wrote:What, is Dysklyver confused about something? You'd think he'd say so if he were...

1. You: "If you meant something else entirely, please provide enough detail so that a serious critic who actually knows what they're talking about, can comment."

2. Me: "What, is Dysklyver confused about something? You'd think he'd say so if he were..."

RfB

Note: Emphasis added for the reading-impaired.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Carrite wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:

1. You: "If you meant something else entirely, please provide enough detail so that a serious critic who actually knows what they're talking about, can comment."

2. Me: "What, is Dysklyver confused about something? You'd think he'd say so if he were..."

RfB

Still not got a clue. Have you got Dysk confused with Sashi? Only you and Sashi responding to the dress wearer there, and Sashi was not even replying to him.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Shall I give the answer on my question, or do you, Timmy?

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 pm

3. You: "Still not got a clue."

FIFY. That's the point.

:facepalm:

t