Hoaxes perpetuated via WP

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Hoaxes perpetuated via WP

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 pm

I've documented a couple dozen notorious hoaxes on the book wiki. But new ones are popping up all the time.

For example, this one didn't end until someone physically went to Isle Royale and looked for it:
He had found another article about Moose Boulder, published in 2009, that cited Wikipedia as its source of information. But the information about Moose Boulder had been added to Siskiwit Lake’s Wikipedia page in 2012. It was like a scene in a bad horror movie in which someone gets a phone call from a dead person. Dickey joked with his girlfriend that perhaps Moose Boulder does exist, but only in some kind of “temporal anomaly.”
Here’s the rub: Wikipedia is a nesting doll, too. Before a page for Siskiwit Lake had been added to the site, the page for Isle Royale had pointed readers to Moose Boulder, and had been doing so since 2009. It was put there by a different user than the one who added it to the Siskiwit page in 2012. Either way, that’s where the trail goes cold, and there’s no other evidence that the place exists. The identity of that first Wikipedia user to write about it—with those completely unrelated sources—remains a mystery, but all available evidence suggests that it was a person having a laugh, nothing more.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/m ... r-debunked
#BbbGate

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Re: Hoaxes perpetuated via WP

Post by Abd » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:01 pm

Remarkably, I had read about Ryan Island and Moose Boulder, but it never occurred to me to doubt the information, more than a little, nor to look at Gmap. Yeah, it was sketchy as hell. I'd question whether a transient pond would be considered a "lake." And that terrain doesn't look like it would support a pond. And a boulder sticking up out of a transient pond an "island"? But Wikipedia has no real fact-checking with any reliability. I've found blatant vandalism buried in an article, recent changes patrollers only catch certain kinds of common defacings, because the system discourages deeper examination and nobody is responsible for any article, unless they make themselves so.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:08 am

Abd wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:01 pm
Remarkably, I had read about Ryan Island and Moose Boulder, but it never occurred to me to doubt the information, more than a little, nor to look at Gmap. Yeah, it was sketchy as hell. I'd question whether a transient pond would be considered a "lake." And that terrain doesn't look like it would support a pond. And a boulder sticking up out of a transient pond an "island"? But Wikipedia has no real fact-checking with any reliability. I've found blatant vandalism buried in an article, recent changes patrollers only catch certain kinds of common defacings, because the system discourages deeper examination and nobody is responsible for any article, unless they make themselves so.
There are valleys all throughout Southern California that could be lakes, if it rained enough.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:02 pm

Right, because they don't have significant time spent filled with water. Dry lakes in the desert have been lakes at one time. We don't use the word "lake" for a very small seasonal pond, even if a seasonal pond exists on Ryan Island. It was a hoax, someone just made it up and then that was propagated and repeated without really considering how preposterous it was.

How much stuff like this is floating around?